Mercer County Courthouse
Mercer County Court House was built in 1918, It's stated that architect's intention was to make the Mercer County Court House a Landmark. Donated in honor of Greece the birthplace of democracy. The building design was called "Greek Revival" here it showcases many influences of Roman architecture. The all glass dome at the center of the building lies this Roman influence.
This building is faced with Gray Bedford Limestone No. 2. The round columns support Ionic Capitols and are typical of Greek Architecture. The interior is adorned with features displaying the mythology of ancient Greeks and Romans. Much of the interior is finished in marble with ornate plaster ceiling treatment. An ornate marble staircase highlights the open stairwell in the buildings center.
The present structure in the third court house erected in Celina and replaced an 1868 brick structure constructed in the southeast
corner of the Court House Square. The first court house was established in 1839 at the site of the present city hall.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Lake St. Marys Points Of Interest (here, next to this marker); Celina City Hall (here, next to this marker); Prehistoric Indians / Historic Indians (here, next to this marker); Lake Improvments (a few steps from this marker); Geologic History (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Lake St. Marys (within shouting distance of this marker); Points Of Intrest In Mercer And Auglaize Counties (within shouting distance of this marker); Mercer County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Celina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 23 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.