Celina City Hall
Celina City Hall was built in 1800 at the northeast corner of Lovingston and Main Streets. It exhibits the characteristics of the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture popular in the late 1800's. This architectural style is known for its large asymmetrical design, hip or gable roof lines, and cut stone or brick features. The rounded Roman sandstone arch entryway is typical on these buildings. An unusual aspect of the City Hall structure is its tall octagonal tower, which is said to resemble a lighthouse. This may be due to Celina's location on the lake. Because this architectural style is based on such large scale and heavy appearing too expensive to build and was used primarily for public buildings.
When Celina's City Hall was constructed, it housed the city and township offices and supported the fire and police departments. The city jail was located on the first floor; and the second floor, at one time, housed an opera house.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Government & Politics.
Location. 40° 32.652′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Lake St. Marys Points Of Interest (here, next to this marker); Mercer County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Prehistoric Indians / Historic Indians (here, next to this marker); Lake Improvments (within shouting distance of this marker); Geologic History (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Lake St. Marys (within shouting distance of this marker); Points Of Intrest In Mercer And Auglaize Counties (within shouting distance of this marker); Mercer County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Celina.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 21 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.