Greensburg in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Train Station at Greensburg
The train station at Greensburg, built in 1911 in a French Renaissance style, demonstrates the importance of Greensburg as the crossroads of train lines and roads, and the historical intersection of trains and automobiles. It was built when railroads were at their height of prominence. Then, almost 50 years later, the station closed because traffic on roads had become more important than traffic on the rails.
At the end of the 1800s, most people lived less than 20 miles from a railroad station. Roads often became rutted and muddy and virtually impassable. By the early 1900s, new paving techniques made road surfaces durable, opening the country to a revolution in transportation. Travelers in the pre-automobile era could not imagine road traffic competing with trains for major regional transportation.
(Inscription under the photo on the left side of the marker) The grand opening of the train station at Greensburg
The history of the train station at Greensburg illustrates the rise and fall of railroads (in red) compared to the continuing rise of the automobile (in yellow).
1852-First train stops in Greensburg;
1909-Ford builds Model T cars; 1911-Station at Greensburg opens;
1913-Lincoln Highway dedicated; 1940-PA Turnpike opens;
Mid 1950s-Station closes, continues as a train stop;
1996-The Westmoreland Trust restores station;
Erected by Pennsylvania Heritage Parks Program.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Lincoln Highway 🛣️, and the Pennsylvania Railroad 🚂 series lists.
Location. 40° 18.27′ N, 79° 32.79′ W. Marker is in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, in Westmoreland County. Marker is on Harrison Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensburg PA 15601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Westmoreland County (about 700 feet away); Arthur Saint Clair (about 700 feet away); Toll House (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also Toll House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Fort Allen (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sion Church-Herolds Settlement (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Allen (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.