Dallas in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Continental Gin Company Showroom Building
Before moving to Dallas in 1885, farmer and inventor Robert Sylvester Munger (b. 1854) had received several patents for improvements on the cotton ginning procedure. In 1885, he and his brother, Stephen, began the Munger Improved Cotton Machine & Manufacturing Co. and used this building as their showroom. In 1900, they merged with the Continental Gin Co., which became a major Dallas business that supplied cotton gin equipment to all parts of the country. A reminder of Dallas' early commercial growth, this building continued to serve Continental Gin until the company closed in 1962.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6656.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 47.208′ N, 96° 46.719′ W. Marker was in Dallas, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker could be reached from 232 North Trunk Avenue north of Elm Street, on the right when traveling northTouch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 3309 Elm Street, Dallas TX 75226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Sons of Hermann in Dallas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baylor University Medical Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leadbelly (approx. ¼ mile away); Baylor College of Dentistry (approx. ¼ mile away); City of East Dallas (approx. ¼ mile away); Wilson Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Original Site of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Dallas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Communications in Dallas (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
More about this marker. The THC marker is missing but the National Register of Historic Places marker is still present. The entire Gin Showroom Company location is made up of six buildings, now mostly loft style apartments. To see the NRHP marker, drive north on Trunk Avenue to the small reddish brick building.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 11, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 5. submitted on February 12, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 6, 7. submitted on February 11, 2021, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.