Old St. Paul's
Baltimore City Landmark
St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; nine years later, the city's first public place of worship opened its doors. All Episcopal churches in Baltimore trace their lineage to this parish, which was established in 1692, the first place of worship being in Patapsco Neck.
The three churches have succeeded the original structure on this lot. The fourth and present basilica style church, built in 1856, was designed by Richard Upjohn, the noted architect whose most famous work is the Gothic Trinity Church in New York. A six-story bell tower was part of the original plans for St. Paul's, but was never completed.
Marble reliefs of Moses and Christ, sculpted by Antonio Capellano, ornamented the third church of 1812, which burned in 1854. The plaques were salvaged from the fire and reinstalled on the present church. Among the oldest examples of architectural sculpture in the country, the plaques also escaped Baltimore's Great Fire
Erected by the City of Baltimore, William Donald Schaefer, Mayor; The Vestry of St. Paul's Parish in Baltimore County, Inc., Sponsor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers series list.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 39° 17.52′ N, 76° 36.911′ W. Marker was in Downtown in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker was on North Charles Street just south of East Saratoga Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 275 N Charles St, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Old St. Paul's (here, next to this marker); Saint Paul's Parish (a few steps from this marker); Downtown (within shouting distance of this marker); Moving Up To Cathedral Hill: Three Centuries of Change (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Center & One Charles Center (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nancy D'Alesandro Pelosi (about 400 feet away); Mayor Thomas D'Alesandro, Jr. (about 400 feet away); Brown’s Arcade (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has been replaced with the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2021, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on February 20, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 2. submitted on February 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.