Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Bridger in Carbon County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage

 
 
Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
1. Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage Marker
Inscription.  Organization of the Bridger Methodist Episcopal Church and the Ladies Aid took place in 1899, pre-dating by one year the founding of the town itself. As in other small Montana communities, itinerant ministers like the Reverend John G. Clark served the early congregation. Services were conducted in the dining room of the Barlow Hotel or in the hall above Hiram Haskin’s hardware store. Land for the church was donated when the townsite of Bridger was platted in 1900, but ground-breaking did not take place until March of 1905. The Ladies Aid raised funds for the building by giving dinners and selling handmade quilts, clothing, and other items. Under the direction of Reverend Clark, stonemason Eric Forsman prepared the foundation, and construction began with donated materials and labor. By December the steeple was ready to receive its 700-pound bell. The community-built Methodist Episcopal Church was dedicated on May 27, 1906, the first in the Clarks Fork Valley. The Bridger landmark is a fine example of Methodist Church design, typified by the L-shaped plan, corner bell tower, and simplified Gothic windows. Fretwork in the open bell tower, decorative
Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
2. Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage and Marker
The marker is on the right.
shingles, and stained glass enrich the basic plan. The adjacent gable- roofed parsonage, now detached from this property, was finished in 1914. Three congregations merged in 1939 to form the Methodist Church, and in 1949 an addition was completed to accommodate growing membership. Renamed the United Methodist Church in 1968, the church today represents the valley’s early religious development, and its continued use is a fitting tribute to the pioneer congregation responsible for its construction.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings.
 
Location. 45° 17.735′ N, 108° 55.011′ W. Marker is in Bridger, Montana, in Carbon County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broadway and South 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west on West Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 West Broadway, Bridger MT 59014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jim Bridger, Mountain Man (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Jim Bridger, Mountain Man (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Corey House (approx. half a mile away); A Trail Woefully Hard to Travel: The Bridger Cut-Off
Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 17, 2020
3. Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage
(approx. 1.1 miles away); The Pryor Mountains and Raptor Country (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Pryor Mountains (approx. 2.9 miles away); John Gibson House (approx. 6.7 miles away); Samuel and Jennie Greenblatt Residence (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridger.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 51 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2021, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 4, 2021