Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Founders’ Gateway

 
 
Founders’ Gateway Tablet on the Right Gatepost image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, March 2, 2006
1. Founders’ Gateway Tablet on the Right Gatepost
Inscription.  
(Right Tablet) Erected in honor of those through whose contributions was established The Maryland Agricultural College (list of names)

(Left Tablet) The University of Maryland The Maryland Agricultural College was founded on this campus in 1856, to become the second agricultural college founded in America. In 1864 it became the Land Grant College of Maryland, and in 1916 it was taken over entirely by the state, to become the Maryland State College. In 1920 all of the property of the old University of Maryland, which had been founded in 1807 in Baltimore as the College of Medicine of Maryland, was turned over to the governing board of the Maryland State College, and the two institutions were thus merged, to become the present University of Maryland.
 
Erected 1941.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 38° 59.32′ N, 76° 56.147′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Campus Drive and Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1), in the median on Campus Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Paint Branch Bridge Mural: A Path Forward (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Engineering 100 (about 500 feet away); Lakeland (about 600 feet away); Site of Maryland's First State Tree Nursery, 1914-1950 (about 600 feet away); Chemistry Courtyard (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
 
More about this marker. The tablets are on the left set of gateposts flanking the outbound lanes.
 
Also see . . .  University of Maryland - History and Mission. University website entry (Submitted on March 17, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. First Agricultural College
The Complete Guide to Maryland Historic Markers by Joe A. Swisher (1996), reports that an earlier (now missing) marker near this location contained the following information: "The First Agricultural College and experimental farm in the western hemisphere, started in 1854 by the Maryland State Agricultural Society through private subscription to stock, chartered and enlarged by the
University of Maryland Tablet on the Left Gatepost image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, March 2, 2006
2. University of Maryland Tablet on the Left Gatepost
Maryland Legislature in 1856, merged with the University of Maryland in 1920."
    — Submitted March 27, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
 
Founder's Gateway at U of MD's Baltimore Avenue Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Fuchs, March 2, 2006
3. Founder's Gateway at U of MD's Baltimore Avenue Entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,871 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024