Bishop in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Bishop
The Rev. J.B. Bruce of Kingsville and seven organizers met with forty applicants on January 29, 1911, in Moser Hall in downtown Bishop to establish a missionary Baptist church. The congregation called the Rev. B.F. Goodwin as a temporary pastor. He held two services a month for a salary of $400 per year, supplementing his income with carpentry work.
The Missionary Baptist Church of Bishop borrowed $13,000 from the Baptist Home Mission Board in 1912 for its first building as the town grew and church membership expanded rapidly. The new structure featured a stained glass window given by F.Z., Mary and A.E. Bishop in memory of their parents.
The 1916 hurricane was among several natural disasters endured by the people of Bishop and the congregants of the Baptist Church. Moser Hall, an ecumenical meeting space located on the second floor of a downtown building, was destroyed in that storm. In time the congregation outgrew its 1912 facility and dedicated a new sanctuary just west of the older site in 1949. An east wing was added in 1952 and a west wing in 1958. The structure was remodeled in 1970 and 1974, and extensively renovated
The First Baptist Church of Bishop continues in the traditions of its founders through missions such as the Iglesia Bautista, constituted as a church in 1996; community service such as the Share Center, where clothing and Bible study are made available to area citizens; worship; and religious education.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12125.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Disasters. A significant historical date for this entry is January 29, 1911.
Location. 27° 34.974′ N, 97° 47.803′ W. Marker is in Bishop, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of East 5th Street and South Date Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East 5th Street. The marker is located at the corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bishop TX 78343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bishop (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church of Bishop (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church and School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Restland Memory Park (approx. one mile away); Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. 6 miles away); The Kingsville Railroad Depot (approx. 6.3 miles away); Uriah Lott (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishop.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.