Bishop in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Bishop
The Rev. Alton T. White, Pastor at nearby Calallen, met with Methodists in the Bishop Town Hall to organize a Methodist Episcopal Church on November 12, 1911. Mrs. B.G. Bishop, Mrs. J.B. Butts, J.H. Herron, Mrs. Althea McClane, Mr. and Mrs. Reinhold Moser, Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Starrett, and Maude and Blanche Starrett were among the charter members.
The congregation received the Rev. P.L. Pyle as its first pastor. In 1912, with fewer than 50 members, they set up a building program with L.E. Appleby, Mrs. F.Z. Bishop, J.H. Herron and R. Moser as the building committee. Though city founder F.Z. Bishop gave town lots for each denomination, the building committee agreed that the designated Methodist Church lot was too far from the central business district. They exchanged the land for lots just south of Main Street. The groundbreaking took place in December 1912. The church was free of debt within nine years despite the ravages of drought and hurricane.
A new building fund committee began its work in 1952. Two years later, church trustees bought a block of property facing Sixth Street on the north side. A large part of the land
The First United Methodist Church of Bishop continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of service and worship.
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12127.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 27° 34.793′ N, 97° 47.479′ W. Marker is in Bishop, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of East Sixth Street and South Ironwood, on the right when traveling east on East Sixth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 804 East Sixth Street, Bishop TX 78343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul Lutheran Church and School (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bishop (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away); Restland Memory Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bishop Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Kingsville Railroad Depot (approx. 6.4 miles away); Uriah Lott (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishop.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.