Bishop in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Paul Lutheran Church and School
In December 1911, St. Paul Lutheran Church was organized by a small group of Wendish Lutheran men under the direction of Rev. E.J. Moebus in the rural community of Concordia, about seven miles northeast of bishop. Johann Michalk of Thorndale (Milam Co.) donated a five acre site for the construction of a church building, and the structure was erected by early 1912. Among the first concerns of the new congregation was the religious and secular education of their children. Therefore, the new building was used as a schoolhouse during the week. John G. Dube donated a two acre site near the church for the creation of a cemetery that continues to be used by those affiliated with the St. Paul congregation.
Although a full-time pastor (Rev. Arthur E. Moebus, son of the organizing pastor) was hired in 1913, the church’s parochial school did not acquire a full-time teacher until 1931. Alfred Geihsler served the school for over forty years as a teacher and principal. A new, larger church building was constructed in 1928, followed by a dedicated school building in 1934.
In 1960, the congregation voted to relocate to Bishop; the new
175 years of Texas Independence 1836 - 2011
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16953.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 27° 34.941′ N, 97° 47.42′ W. Marker is in Bishop, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Hackberry Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 East Main Street, Bishop TX 78343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church of Bishop (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bishop (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bishop (approx. 0.6 miles away); Restland Memory Park (approx. Englishmen in South Texas, 1568 (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Kingsville Railroad Depot (approx. 6.6 miles away); Uriah Lott (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bishop.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.