East KY. Power Cooperative
On July 7, 1941, thirteen of Kentucky's rural electric co-ops formed East Kentucky Power Cooperative to relieve the electric power shortage common in rural areas. In 1951, Hugh L. Spurlock became EKPC's first general manager. Construction began soon after on its first power plant, William C. Dale Station.
Before 1937, only 3% of rural homes in Ky. had electricity. Today, electricity is available to all. EKPC supplies wholesale power to 18 electric co-ops that serve electricity needs of farms, homes, and businesses in eastern 2/3 of state. With headquarters here, EKPC operates three coal-fired generating plants in Somerset, Ford, and Maysville.
Erected 1991 by Kentucky Historical Society; Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1894.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society, and the Rural Electrification 💡 series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is July 7, 1941.
Location. 38° 1.277′ N, 84° 15.375′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clark County Hemp (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hemp in Kentucky (approx. 1.3 miles away); Roy Stuart Cluke (approx. 1.9 miles away); Colbyville Tavern (approx. 2 miles away); Capt. John Strode (approx. 2.4 miles away); Allen Tate (1899-1978) (approx. 3.6 miles away); Daniel Boone (approx. 4.3 miles away); Homer C. Ledford (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 16, 2021, by Frank Profitt of Georgetown, Kentucky. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.