Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. James Episcopal Church
The community of Hallettsville began in 1836, when Margaret Hallett donated land for the townsite. By that time, there were several families living in the area, and settlement increased throughout the 19th century. In July 1875, Gen. Arthur Pendleton Bagby and his wife Frances (Taylor) asked the Rev. Thomas J. Morris, a missionary out of Columbus, to come to Hallettsville and baptize their six children. Later that year, the Rt. Rev. R.W.B. Elliott, Missionary Bishop of Western Texas, visited Hallettsville, and in 1876 the congregation known as St. James' was accepted into the Diocese of West Texas.
Church members initially met in the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall, which was also known as St. James' Missionary Hall. In 1880, the congregation purchased a lot on East Third Street, and through the efforts of Mary Kroschel, Jane Viser, and the Bagby family, the church constructed its first sanctuary the next year. Many of the active early congregation members were commemorated in stained glass windows, which were moved to a new church building constructed in 1962 at this site.
Throughout its history, the congregation has been a
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13437.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1875.
Location. 29° 26.726′ N, 96° 56.028′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of East Fourth Street (Alternate U.S. 90) and South Tate Street, on the right when traveling west on East Fourth Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1103 East Fourth Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hallettsville Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hallettsville Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hallettsville First Methodist Church of Hallettsville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Joseph Kent (approx. 0.3 miles away); Captain Leiper Willoughby (approx. 0.3 miles away); Paul Scarborough (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.