Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Peter Lutheran Church
The history of Lutheran ministry in the Hallettsville area can be traced to 1868, when the Rev. Christian Geiger began missionary work among the area's German immigrants. Meeting first in the nearby Pagel settlement, a congregation was formally organized on December 21, 1889, in the home of Franz Groeber. Named St. Peter Lutheran Church, the congregation began with eight founding families and met in facilities provided by Hallettsville's Episcopal Congregation. Worship services, conducted in German and English, were held once a month.
By September 1891 land was purchased for a church building, and the cornerstone was laid on December 9. The building's framework was destroyed in a storm that month, but it was rebuilt and formally dedicated on June 19, 1892.
As the congregation continued to grow, the Rev. Frederick Wolfsdorff became the second pastor in 1901. Along with Anna Thekla Baessler, he organized the church's first Sunday School in 1902. Additional buildings were added to the church grounds over the years, and a new sanctuary was built in 1942. Celebrating over one hundred years in Hallettsville, St. Peter Lutheran
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5075.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 26.763′ N, 96° 56.233′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of North Promenade Street and East Second Street, on the right when traveling north on North Promenade Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Promenade Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hallettsville Public Library (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hallettsville Public Schools (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church of Hallettsville (about 700 feet away); First Methodist Church of Hallettsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Alma Male and Female Institute (approx. ¼ mile away); Hallettsville (approx. ¼ mile away); Joseph Kent (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.