Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Hallettsville
According to local oral tradition, Baptists in Hallettsville began worshiping together about 1851. A congregation of fourteen people was in operation by 1854. Early worship services were conducted in a three-story building which served the community as a school, Union Church, and Masonic Lodge.
The church's membership grew steadily, and in March 1882 the deacons purchased land in this block for a sanctuary. A frame structure was completed in 1884. It continued to serve the congregation until the early 1940s, when it was moved to another site on the property to make room for a new brick building, which was completed in 1948. Beginning in 1962, plans were again made to enlarge the church facilities. The 1884 church building was incorporated into the design for the new structure, and it remains in place under the modern brick construction.
Throughout its history, the First Baptist Church has served the community with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs. Members of the church have maintained an involvement in both foreign and domestic missionary activities. The church continues to play an important role
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1638.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 26.764′ N, 96° 56.365′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of East Second Street and North Dowling Street, on the right when traveling west on East Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 East Second Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Alma Male and Female Institute (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Peter Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away); First Methodist Church of Hallettsville (about 700 feet away); Hallettsville Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lavaca County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); 50th Anniversary of Battle of Galveston (approx. ¼ mile away); Hallettsville (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.