Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hallettsville Public Library

 
 
Hallettsville Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
1. Hallettsville Public Library Marker
Inscription.  

As early as 1893, the citizens of Lavaca County expressed an interest in establishing a county library. In September 1932, two local citizens, Mrs. Harvey Renger and Miss Evelyn Lacy, organized a rental library known as the “Library Nook” to supply the people of Hallettsville with the best books at the lowest cost. The Nook was open every day in the East Building across from the East Hotel.

In 1937, the Hallettsville Reading Club was founded by ten local ladies who shared their love of books. In January 1937, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) agreed to furnish the labor to help care for a local library. In February 1938, members of the Reading Club appeared before the Chamber of Commerce offering the help of the Reading Club in securing a community library. The Chamber voted to contribute $1.50 per month for one year. The Rotary Club sponsored the library, the community supplied the books and the WPA hired a librarian to catalog the books.

On June 9, 1938, the Lavaca County Library officially opened to the public in a small room in the old Hallettsville City Hall (now the Volunteer Fire Department Station).
Hallettsville Public Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
2. Hallettsville Public Library and Marker
The library continued under very meager resources and was able to offer services to rural schools. In the early 1960s, the community recognized the financial difficulties the Reading Club faced in operating the library and responded with support. On March 20, 1966, the Friench Simpson Memorial Library was dedicated and opened to the public. The library was named for Friench Simpson (1848-1923), local lawyer, banker, author, state senator and the father of J.H. Simpson, Sr.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18118.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 29° 26.688′ N, 96° 56.241′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of East Fourth Street (Alternate U.S. 90) and South Promenade Street, on the right when traveling west on East Fourth Street. The marker is located in front of the Friench Simpson Memorial Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 East Fourth Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Methodist Church of Hallettsville (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Hallettsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hallettsville
The view of the Hallettsville Public Library Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
3. The view of the Hallettsville Public Library Marker from the road
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Kent (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Leiper Willoughby (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paul Scarborough (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen Tucker Foley (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 18, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 5, 2021