Hallettsville in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Richardson Chapel United Methodist Church
The early members of the Richardson Chapel United Methodist Church were former slaves that attended the Methodist Episcopal Church of Hallettsville prior to emancipation. Freedom allowed these former slaves to form their own church, and they chose to do so under the guidance of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
On January 10, 1882, five church trustees purchased 1.5 acres of land for sixty dollars for a permanent church home. Records for the church building indicate that the first structure was built prior to 1890 with Reverend Max Henderson as the first minister.
The Church has been affiliated with a Methodist Texas conference since 1874 and has been under the guidance of over fifty pastors. According to Southwest Texas Conference records, the membership totaled 80 in 1878 and, by 1885, had increased to 167. By 1900, the membership grew to almost 250. Other churches in the area were served by the Richardson Chapel minister. When transportation became less of an issue, several rural churches merged with Richardson Chapel.
Originally, the church was named Methodist Episcopal Church until they hosted the annual conference
Many additions and alterations have been made over the years, including a new parsonage in 1890, 1908 and in the 1950s. The history of the Richardson Chapel United Methodist Church is the heritage of many Lavaca County citizens. From humble beginnings, the congregation of Richardson Chapel remains a beacon of light in the community.
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17564.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 27.152′ N, 96° 56.712′ W. Marker is in Hallettsville, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Park 2nd Road, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 804 North Main Street, Hallettsville TX 77964, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Legion Hudgeons Post 230 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Hanging Tree (about 500 feet away); Entrance to Old Estate of John Hallett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Murchison Masonic Lodge (approx. 0.2 miles away); 50th Anniversary of Battle of GalvestonLavaca County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Hallettsville (approx. 0.6 miles away); First National Bank of Hallettsville (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hallettsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.