Yoakum in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Municipal Power Plant
After attempts by Yoakum officials to purchase existing electric power facilities failed, the city voted in 1930, at a commission meeting attended by about 300 local residents, to build its own municipal power plant. This building was designed by the firm of Montgomery and Ward engineers of Wichita Falls and built by F.O. Crawford of Yoakum in 1932 on land purchased from the Spencer-Sauer Lumber Company.
The building housed Yoakum's sole electric power plant until 1938 and continued in use as an auxiliary electric plant until the early 1960s. From 1964 to 1989 the building served as a municipal machine shop.
In 1988 city officials offered the "Friends of the Library," a local organization organized in 1978 to promote the city library, an opportunity to utilize the building. The organization made use of state funds and generous donations by local citizens to convert the building into a public library. The project has earned recognition as a fine example of restoration and adaptive use of a historic building.
The building is an excellent example of an industrial facility. It features a 3-bay primary facade, large
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1993
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3535.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 29° 17.141′ N, 97° 9.063′ W. Marker is in Yoakum, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and West Schleicher Street, on the right when traveling south on Front Street. The marker is located in front of the Carl & Mary Welhausen Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 810 Front Street, Yoakum TX 77995, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Yoakum National Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Asberry School (approx. half a mile away); First Methodist Church of Yoakum (approx. 0.8 miles away); Yoakum (approx. one mile away); Chisholm Trail Memorial Park (approx. one mile away); St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery (approx. one mile away); The Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas (approx. one mile away); von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yoakum.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.