Yoakum in Lavaca County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Yoakum
The Rev. Thomas S. Armstrong, sent by the East Texas Conference of the Methodist Church to establish a church in Yoakum, led a small group of Methodists in organizing this congregation on October 28, 1889. The charter members included Mrs. M.M. Riggs, Mr. and Mrs. Jim Hulse, Mrs. Martha Goode, Mrs. S.L. Edwards, Mr. and Mrs. D.F. Sistrunk, Mrs. Sarah Weatherly, and Mr. T.M. Dodd, who served as the congregation's first steward. Early worship services were held in a variety of locations, including the Knights of Pythias Hall, an empty saloon building on Front Street, and buildings shared with the local Presbyterian and Baptist Churches.
The Methodist congregation built its first house of worship in 1893 on the corner of Rose Street and Price Avenue. It was replaced with a brick structure in 1917, and the congregation moved to a new church building at this site in 1973.
Throughout its history the First United Methodist Church of Yoakum has been active in service to the community. The Women's Missionary Society (now known as United Methodist Women) was founded in 1893 and has continued its outreach activities for more than
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1777.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 16.916′ N, 97° 8.327′ W. Marker is in Yoakum, Texas, in Lavaca County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gonzales Street (State Highway 111) and Carroll Drive, on the right when traveling east on East Gonzales Street. The marker is located on the western section of the Church grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1026 East Gonzales Street, Yoakum TX 77995, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Asberry School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Municipal Power Plant (approx. 0.8 miles away); Yoakum National Bank (approx. one mile away); Yoakum (approx. 1.6 miles away); Chisholm Trail Memorial Park (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Trail Drivers of Southwest Texas (approx. 1.7 miles away); von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yoakum.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.