Near Hochheim in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded near home and stage stand of Valentine Hoch on old Austin - Indianola Road, 1856. In 1864, German Methodist Church was built; Post Office opened 1869. County's first Protestant church (organized 1841 on Cuero Creek by J.M. Baker and James N. Smith) moved here in 1882 as Hochheim Presbyterian Church. The Baptist church was founded later (1923). Concrete Lodge No. 182, A.F. & A.M. (Chartered 1856 with F.J. Lynch, first Worshipful Master), became Hochheim Lodge, 1884, buying (1885) upper story of schoolhouse for Lodge Hall; in 1921 bought lower story, housing school until 1938.
Erected 1972 by State Hictorical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2502.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 18.062′ N, 97° 17.555′ W. Marker is near Hochheim, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on U.S. 183 0.1 miles south of City of Hochheim Road (County Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hochheim TX 77967, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cuero I Archeological District (here, next to this marker); Hochheim Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Ann’s Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); von Hugo - von Clausewitz Family Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Concrete College (1865 - 1881) (approx. 4.3 miles away); Dr. William Watt White (approx. 5.8 miles away); George Washington Davis (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hochheim.
Also see . . . Hochheim, TX. Valentine Hoch arrived with his children at their DeWitt County homesite and in 1856, after several years' labor as a stonemason, completed a 2½-story house constructed of Guadalupe riverbank stones. Hoch later remarried and adopted his new wife's three daughters. After Hoch's settlement, at least six more families arrived, and the community was being called Hochheim and sometimes Dutchtown. The town, located on the stage route to Indianola and Austin, grew as a trading center. A post office was established there in 1870, when the settlement had two groceries, a drugstore, and a blacksmith shop. Source: The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on February 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.