Punta Gorda in Charlotte County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Punta Gorda Home Site
Approximately two years later Lockhart sold his claim to James Madison Lanier, a hunter and trapper. The Lanier family lived there until 1883 when 30.8 acres were sold to Isaac Trabue, who bought additional land and platted the Town of Trabue on February 25, 1885. This land was incorporated as the City of Punta Gorda on December 7, 1887.
Erected 2008 by Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 26° 56.075′ N, 82° 3.26′ W. Marker is in Punta Gorda, Florida, in Charlotte County. Marker is at the intersection of West Retta Esplanade and Harvey Street, on the left when traveling north on West Retta Esplanade. Marker is located in Gilchrist Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 West Retta Esplanade, Punta Gorda FL 33950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Albert Waller Gilchrist (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City of Punta Gorda (about 500 feet away); The Punta Gorda Bank (about 600 feet away); Site of Hotel Punta Gorda (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hector House Plaza: The Founding of Punta Gorda (approx. ¼ mile away); Charlotte County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Punta Gorda Railroad Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charlotte High School (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Punta Gorda.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 21, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on February 21, 2021, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?