Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Congregation Beth Israel
This congregation was organized in 1876 by about 30 charter members led by noted businessman Henry Hirschfeld and newspaper publisher Phineas de Cordova. In 1877 Beth Israel purchased a lot at 11th and San Jacinto Streets where the first synagogue was erected in 1884. Joe Koen began a 45-year term as president in 1889. The congregation bought land at Shoal Creek Blvd. and 38th Street in 1953; administration and school buildings were erected in 1957. A sanctuary was completed in 1967. A sanctuary was completed in 1967. Beth Israel continues to serve as a focal point for Austin's Jewish community.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14963.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 18.505′ N, 97° 44.852′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from Shoal Creek Boulevard north of West 38th Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker is located near the entrance off Shoal Creek Boulevard.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3901 Shoal Creek Boulevard, Austin TX 78756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seiders Oaks (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Radkey House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jacob Leser House (approx. half a mile away); Austin State Hospital (approx. 0.6 miles away); Splitrock (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jane Yelvington McCallum (approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Mabry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Buddington-Benedict-Sheffield Compound (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 22, 2021, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.