Smiley in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Smiley
George W. Colley, who established a home, gin, and grist mill on Smiley Lake (1 M. S) in 1879, arranged for the Rev. John Stringer to hold the area's first formal Baptist meeting in 1880. People from throughout the area attended the 3-week brush arbor meeting during which 117 people were baptized in Smiley Lake.
Smiley Lake Baptist Church, organized in 1882 with 34 charter members, erected a sanctuary and organized a Sunday School. A new sanctuary was built in 1893 on two acres donated by F.P. and M.L. Colley. The congregation was renamed Smiley Baptist Church in 1894.
In 1906 several church members established Calvary Baptist Church in the new railroad town of Smiley. In 1915 Smiley Baptist Church moved to a site in Smiley donated by Maggie Glover. The Smiley and Calvary Churches reunited as the First Baptist Church in 1916.
In 1921 the congregation withdrew from the San Antonio Baptist Association and joined 12 other churches to form the Gambrell Baptist Association. Church membership grew and in 1949 a new church building was erected. A parsonage was built in 1962.
The church continues to build on a
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1676.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 16.156′ N, 97° 38.108′ W. Marker is in Smiley, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 108 0.1 miles north of U.S. 87, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smiley TX 78159, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smiley United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Smiley Lake and Townsite (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Nixon (approx. 7.7 miles away); 1835 Attack at Sandies Water Hole (approx. 10.4 miles away); Gonzales - San Antonio Road (approx. 10.4 miles away); Westhoff (approx. 11.2 miles away); Rev. Alejo Hernández (approx. 11.3 miles away); Leesville School (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smiley.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.