Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smiley in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Smiley United Methodist Church

 
 
Smiley United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
1. Smiley United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  

Methodists in the Smiley area gathered for informal worship services as early as 1879. In 1885 a congregation, originally known as the Bundick Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was organized with about six charter families. The Rev. W.H. Killough served as the church's first Itinerate Pastor. Later, Rancho circuit and other preachers held services at the Smiley Church one a month.

The congregation first met in the Bundick Schoolhouse, a two-story wooden structure also used for Lone Star Masonic Lodge meetings. The Smiley community moved closer to the railroad after the tracks were laid in 1906, and the Methodist congregation built a one-room sanctuary in the new townsite in 1907. It served the fellowship until the current structure was completed and dedicated in 1948.

Members of the Smiley United Methodist Church generally have come from farming and ranching families. Over the years they have provided significant service and leadership to the community and have continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of the founders.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. (Marker Number 4952.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 29° 16.13′ N, 97° 38.435′ W. Marker is in Smiley, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of Morey Street and Lee Street, on the right when traveling south on Morey Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 Morey Street, Smiley TX 78159, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Smiley (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Smiley Lake and Townsite (approx. half a mile away); First Baptist Church of Nixon (approx. 7.4 miles away); Rancho (approx. 7.7 miles away); 1835 Attack at Sandies Water Hole (approx. 10.2 miles away); Gonzales - San Antonio Road (approx. 10.2 miles away); Rev. Alejo Hernández (approx. 11.1 miles away); Leesville School (approx. 11.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smiley.
 
The view of the Smiley United Methodist Church Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 8, 2021
2. The view of the Smiley United Methodist Church Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167388

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024