Nixon in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Nixon
The town of Rancho existed about one mile north of here for many years prior to the establishment of Nixon in 1906 on the new San Antonio and Gulf Railroad line. This church was organized in 1869 as a mission of the San Antonio Baptist Association by the Rev. T. Christmas and the Rev. J.F. Hines.
The congregation built a small sanctuary in Rancho and remained there until 1907 when they moved to the new town of Nixon and changed their name to Nixon Baptist Church. A Sunday School and Ladies Aid Society were organized and 37 members joined the church in 1909 as a result of a successful revival service. In 1921 Nixon Baptist joined the Gambrell Baptist Association. The congregation began a long-term association with the Alto Frio encampment near Leakey, Texas, when they erected a building there in 1928.
In conjunction with the building of a new sanctuary here in 1955, the congregation changed its name to First Baptist Church of Nixon. The congregation has since established a scholarship fund for local high school graduates pursuing Baptist studies, sponsored youth activities and programs, helped establish area mission churches,
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1660.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 16.264′ N, 97° 45.791′ W. Marker is in Nixon, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is at the intersection of North Texas Avenue and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Texas Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 North Texas Avenue, Nixon TX 78140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smiley United Methodist Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Old Smiley Lake and Townsite (approx. 7˝ miles away); First Baptist Church of Smiley (approx. 7.7 miles away); Christ United Methodist Church (approx. 12.2 miles away); The First Baptist Church of Stockdale (approx. 12.3 miles away); Town Named for Governor F.S. Stockdale (approx. 12.4 miles away); St. Ann's Catholic Church (approx. 16.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Rancho, TX.
The population was recorded at 100 again in 1892, and by then one of the churches had closed, leaving only the Methodist church. By 1896, however, the population once more(Submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.