Stockdale in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Christ United Methodist Church
Congregation organized 1871 by the Rev. R.M. Leaton, with 2 charter members. Circuit riders first held services here in a picket schoolhouse. J.R. King, early Texas settler, patriot, and state legislator, gave this site in 1876 for church. Present (1937) building is fourth at the same location.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 845.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 14.176′ N, 97° 57.633′ W. Marker is in Stockdale, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (Business U.S. 87) and South 9th Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 West Main Street, Stockdale TX 78160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First Baptist Church of Stockdale (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town Named for Governor F.S. Stockdale (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sutherland Springs School Site (approx. 6.3 miles away); Sutherland SpringsPat Higgins Grass Farm (approx. 6˝ miles away); Polley Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); Linne Oil Field (approx. 8.3 miles away); St. Ann's Catholic Church (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockdale.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.