Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dewville in Gonzales County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Dewville United Methodist Church

 
 
Dewville United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
1. Dewville United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  

Settlers in the community of Sandies began to hold Methodist worship services in 1842. Sandies Chapel was chartered by the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1857. Trustees were Newburn Guinn, David Barnes, E.R. Hurt, D.P. Briggs, and J.T. Gillett. In 1897, the congregation moved one mile to the new community of Dewville where a church was built on land donated by Mrs. C.C. Vernor, the wife of an early local pastor. Over the years, the church has provided significant service and leadership to the town and remains an active institution here.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

In memory of Rev. J.E. and Mrs. C.C. Vernor and their descendants

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1216.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the United Methodist Church Historic Sites series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
 
Location. 29° 22.776′ N, 97° 48.584′ W. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is near Dewville, Texas, in Gonzales County. Marker is on County Highway 121, 0.1 miles south of Farm to Market Road 1117, on the left when traveling south. The marker is located to the southeast of the entrance to the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5755 County Road 121, Nixon TX 78140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandies Chapel Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Sandies-Dewville Community (approx. ¼ mile away); 1835 Attack at Sandies Water Hole (approx. 3.6 miles away); Gonzales - San Antonio Road (approx. 3.6 miles away); Albuquerque (approx. 4.6 miles away); Site of Old Town of Union Valley (approx. 4.6 miles away); Rev. Alejo Hernández (approx. 4.8 miles away); Leesville Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dewville.
 
Regarding Dewville United Methodist Church. It is United Methodist Church Registered Historic Site No. 161.
 
United Methodist Historic Site No. 161 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
2. United Methodist Historic Site No. 161 Marker
The front entrance to the Dewville United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
3. The front entrance to the Dewville United Methodist Church
The view of the Dewville United Methodist Church and Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2021
4. The view of the Dewville United Methodist Church and Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2023. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167460

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024