Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eagle in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Village of Eagle

 
 
Eagle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen
1. Eagle Marker
Inscription.  A huge bald eagle “hovering and curving over a large mound” east of here, inspired prospectors to name the area Eagle in 1836. Village of Eagle was platted at the coming of the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad (1851) by Kline, Pitman, and Sprague. Business houses, schools, and a church sprang up here at Eagle Center.

By (1880) Eagle was third in commercial importance in the county with two drygoods stores, (Combs Bros, and Lins), two clothing and tailor shops, (Bessingham & Lins), two hardware stores (McWilliams & Lins), the Lins butcher shop, Bevins grocery & harness shop, millinery shop, 3 saloons, a 15,000 bushel capacity elevator and warehouse (Clemens & Hall), Klines's Hotel, a 3 story school house and Methodist Church.

Biggest sensation: 1876 discovery of 16-Karat diamond in the Tom Devdreaux' Well. After many lawsuits, fake mines, and several years at Tiffany's in New York, the stone, still uncut, was on display at the American Museum of Natural History until 1964 when it was stolen and never recovered. Here the Hill was renamed “Diamond Hill”. A surveyor's benchmark is located at the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
site of the first depot that gave birth to Eagle.
 
Erected 1992 by Waukesha County Historical Society. (Marker Number 07-01.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 42° 52.83′ N, 88° 28.41′ W. Marker is in Eagle, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is at the intersection of Partridge Street and East Waukesha Road (State Route 59), on the right when traveling south on Partridge Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle WI 53119, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Cobblestone (approx. 1.7 miles away); Palestine School (approx. 2.2 miles away); Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 4.4 miles away); South Shore Cars Come to East Troy (approx. 7.1 miles away); East Troy Railroad (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mukwonago (approx. 7.3 miles away); Genesee Depot (approx. 7.8 miles away); Heaven City (approx. 8.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eagle.
 
Additional commentary.
1. Additional history
The Town of Eagle was named by prospectors in 1836 after being inspired by an eagle hovering over a mound of land nearby. The town has also been called Bullion and
Eagle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
2. Eagle Marker
Old marker
Eagle Prairie.

Eagle was platted when the Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad came in 1851. That's when businesses, schools, and churches were built at what was called Eagle Center.

By 1880 Eagle was third in commerce in the county with two dry goods stores, two clothing and tailor shops, two hardware stores, Lin's butcher shop, Bevin's grocery and harness shop, millinery shop, three saloons, a 15,000-bushel capacity elevator and warehouse, Kline's Hotel, a three-story schoolhouse and a Methodist church.

In 1876, a 16-karat diamond was discoered in Tom Devereaux's well after diging deeper to find more water. A couple more diamlonds were discovered there that turned out to be "planted" South African diamonds.

After that, hopes for a diamond mine were crushed. The uncut stone was bought by Tiffany's for $850. It was on display there many years. Then it was moved to the American Museum of Natural History in New York until 1964 when it disappeared and has never been found. The hill where the diamond was found continues to be called Diamond Hill.

The sale of the stone started endless litigation, but the evidence brought forward was insufficient to bring conviction of fraud.
    — Submitted July 13, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.
 
Eagle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen
3. Eagle Marker
Town of Eagle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
4. Town of Eagle
Town of Eagle image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, 2009
5. Town of Eagle
Eagle Tourist Information building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Hansen, circa 2017
6. Eagle Tourist Information building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on February 26, 2021, by Jim Schaettle of Madison, Wisconsin. Photos:   1. submitted on March 2, 2017, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   2. submitted on June 10, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on March 2, 2017, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   4, 5. submitted on June 10, 2011, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   6. submitted on March 2, 2017, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167494

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2024