Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Black Plantation / Hampton Campaign
Black Plantation. This area was once part of the 448.5-acre plantation of Alexander Templeton Black (1798-1875), for whom Church Street was renamed Black Street. In 1851 Black deeded land for a right-of-way and depot to the Charlotte & S.C. Railroad. He also created and sold 23 town lots along a new Main Street, fulfilling his dream to establish a town here. The post office that opened nearby "Rock Hill" after the hill the railroad tracks cut through.
Hampton Campaign. The 1876 S.C. gubernatorial election was bitterly contested by Republican Gov. Daniel H. Chamberlain (1835-1907) and Democrat and ex-Confederate general Wade Hampton (1818-1902). On Oct. 12, 1876, citizens welcomed Hampton to Rock Hill near this site; this street was later renamed for him. Mounted Democratic cluds led him to Chatham Ave., where spoke to a crowd of 3,000. The vote in York County and the upcounty was critical to Hampton's eventual victory.
Erected 2008 by South Carolina Department of Archives and History; The Culture and Heritage Museums of York County and the City of Rock Hill. (Marker
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 34° 55.47′ N, 81° 1.628′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of East Black Street (State Highway 5) and Hampton Street on East Black Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Town Fact (a few steps from this marker); 202 East Main Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Andrew Jackson Hotel / Vernon Grant (about 300 feet away); Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill (about 300 feet away); McCrory's Civil Rights Sit-ins / "Friendship Nine" (about 400 feet away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (about 400 feet away); The Dalton Building (about 400 feet away); From Mall To Main (about 500 feet away); The A. Friedheim & Bro. And Smith-Fewell Buildings (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church / Church Leaders (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hill.
Also see . . .
1. Alexander Templeton Black. Alexander Templeton Black was the fourth generation of his family to live in America and the third generation to own land (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Charlotte, Columbia and Augusta Railroad. In 1869 the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad and the Columbia and Augusta Railroad merged to form the Charlotte, Columbia and Augusta Railroad. (Submitted on January 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Daniel H. Chamberlain. Daniel Henry Chamberlain (June 23, 1835 – April 13, 1907) was a planter, lawyer, author and the Republican Governor of South Carolina from 1874 until 1877. (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Wade Hampton III. Wade Hampton III (March 28, 1818 – April 11, 1902) was a Confederate cavalry leader during the American Civil War and afterwards a politician from South Carolina, serving as its governor and as a U.S. Senator. (Submitted on April 5, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Historical Marker Honors Black and Hampton
On Thursday, May 15th, the City of Rock Hill, along with the Culture and Heritage Museums, held a ceremony downtown to dedicate the Black Plantation / Hampton Rally Historical Marker, in honor of Alexander Templeton Black and Wade Hampton.
Hampton, a former Civil War general, ran for governor in 1876. After a rally was held in Rock Hill, political support turned in his favor. The vote in York County and the Upstate was critical to his victory in the election. Hampton Street was named in his honor.
The Black Plantation / Hampton Rally Historical Marker is located downtown, on the corner of Black Street and Hampton Street. (Source: Old Town News (Rock Hill), June 2008.)
— Submitted January 16, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,642 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 6, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.