La Vernia in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Immanuel Lutheran Church
German immigrants settled in the nearby New Berlin community on Elm Creek in the 1870s and founded a congregation known as Christ Lutheran Church. After the arrival of the San Antonio and Gulf Railroad in 1893, many church members moved to La Vernia, and for a time they made the weekly journey back to New Berlin for worship services. In 1901, however, 20 families gathered to form a local congregation to serve German Lutherans in La Vernia, and they called the Rev. H.W. Schmidt as their first pastor.
Immanuel Lutheran Church members worshiped at the Presbyterian Church until their own building was completed on this site on Cibolo Creek in October 1901. An associated cemetery (2.1 Mi. NW) began on donated land the following year. After Pastor Schmidt left in 1903, the church issued a joint call for a new pastor with Christ Lutheran Church, and this shared pastorate continued for many years. The congregation grew steadily under the leadership of the Rev. Nic Frueh, who served as pastor from 1911 until 1943. In 1932, due to deterioration and a violent storm, a new church building was erected to replace the original. During Pastor
Although damaging floods in 1913, 1973 and 1998 have proved challenging for the congregation, the members have sustained their various ministries and programs, including education and outreach. Immanuel Lutheran Church remains an important part of the ethnic and religious heritage of Wilson County.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12469.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1901.
Location. 29° 21.451′ N, 98° 6.62′ W. Marker is in La Vernia, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of Seguin Road (Farm to Market Road 775) and Hackberry, on the right when traveling west on Seguin Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 Seguin Road, La Vernia TX 78121, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Chihuahua Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); La Vernia (approx. 0.3 miles away); Suttles Pottery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rector Chapel Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Deaf Smith Oak Tree - the Next Generation (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brahan Lodge No. 226, A.F. & A.M.La Vernia United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named La Vernia United Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Vernia.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.