Olton in Lamb County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories
Created August 21, 1876
Organized June 20, 1908
Named in honor of George A. Lamb
A Second Lieutenant who fell in the first charge at the Battle of San Jacinto
Olton, County Seat
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 14202.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 34° 11.322′ N, 102° 7.373′ W. Marker is in Olton, Texas, in Lamb County. Marker is on U.S. 70, 0.3 miles east of County Highway 311, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Olton TX 79064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Olton's Union Church Bell (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Olton Halfway (approx. 9.8 miles away); Lamb County Sand Hills (approx. 11.3 miles away); Center Plains Community (approx. 12.1 miles away); One of the Trails of Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie (approx. 12.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Olton.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 28, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.