District #2 Schoolhouse
As a trustee for the town of Genesee Falls' school district, Letchworth helped design and finance a new schoolhouse that was built on this site in 1874. That schoolhouse remained in use for 60 years and then stood vacant until 1947, when it became the property of New York State. The state sold the building along with its contents in a public auction, and in 1987, 40 years after the 1874 schoolhouse was razed, a replica schoolhouse was rebuilt on the site of the original building.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 42° 35.398′ N, 78° 2.36′ W. Marker is near Castile, New York, in Wyoming County. Marker is on Trout Pond Road, on the left when traveling north. This is in Letchworth
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pioneer Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First New York Dragoons. Volunteers. 1862-1865. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Genesee Valley Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seh-Ga-Hun-Da (approx. ¼ mile away); Hornby Lodge (approx. ¼ mile away); Pages of Geologic Time (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Pryor Letchworth 1823 - 1910 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Nancy Jemison Log Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castile.
Regarding District #2 Schoolhouse. Descriptions of the pictures on the marker:
In 1876, Barnard's American Journal of Education praised the District #2 Schoolhouse for its progressive use of tar paper insulation, its specialized air vent, and its windows with counter balances, all innovations that improved the classroom environment. This watercolor painting of the schoolhouse dates to ca. 1876.
Although few changes were made to the outside of the building, its floor plan and interior finishes did change over time. After William Pryor Letchworth's death in 1910, the town of Genesee Falls District #2 schoolhouse was called the Letchworth Park School.
Mr. Letchworth donated a melodeon to the school in 1868 as well as many books of melodies for children. The melodeon pictured below is on display in the William Pryor Letchworth Museum.
This school bell, which was once used at the District #2 Schoolhouse, is on display at the William Pryor Letchworth Museum.
This floor plan of the schoolhouse dates to ca.1876. Notice that the boys and girls had separate entrances, playgrounds, and privies. A seven-foot-high picket fence separated the boys' and girls' portions of the yard.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2021, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 1, 2021, by Bruce Kelly of Perry, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.