Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James Calvin Rhea House

 
 
James Calvin Rhea House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, March 2, 2021
1. James Calvin Rhea House Marker
Inscription.  

James Calvin Rhea (1837-1925) came to Texas from Tennessee in 1855. He and his brother, W.A. Rhea, built a gristmill in the Collin County community that became known as Rhea Mills. Built about 1890 by John W. Hamilton, this home features Eastlake style elements in its wraparound veranda, ornamental woodwork, and sunburst panels. The home remained in the Rhea family until 1956. A Civil War Veteran, Rhea and his wife Mary are buried nearby in Pecan Grove Cemetery.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1989

Incise on base: Restoration completed by Harry E. and Rebecca Sue McKillop


Entered in the National Register of Historic Places
1988
 
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6195.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
 
Location. 33° 12.237′ N, 96° 37.256′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of North College
James Calvin Rhea House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jesse Nelsen, March 2, 2021
2. James Calvin Rhea House and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street and West Lela Street, on the left when traveling north on North College Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Davis House (within shouting distance of this marker); Estes House (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); John S. and Rachel W. Heard House (approx. ¼ mile away); Fox-Caldwell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. William Taylor Hoard House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waddill-Morris Homesite (approx. 0.3 miles away); J.D. Stiff Home (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=167835

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021