Mckinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1927 Collin County Courthouse
The first courthouses in McKinney were modest wooden structures. A third courthouse was erected on this site during 1874-1875, and was opened for use in 1876. The 2-story Victorian structure was made of native limestone blocks with a steep mansard roof and a main entrance that faced east. The building's architect, often mistakenly identified as Charles Wheeler, was Charles Wheelock of Sherman. The much-celebrated courthouse on the square became a backdrop for parades and other events.
The structure was overcrowded and in poor condition by the mid-1920s. Extensive exterior and interior renovations included the removal of the mansard roof and tower caps, as well as the addition of a third story and basement. Overseen by W. A. Peters of the Paris, Texas, architectural firm of
The new structure was commonly known as the "Temple of Justice," and continued to be the center of activity for city and county functions. It remained in service as a courthouse until 1979. The structure remains a fine example of 20th century classical revival design and a monument to Collin County history.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1998
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11816.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 33° 11.85′ N, 96° 36.941′ W. Marker is in Mckinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on North Kentucky Street north of West Louisiana Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Collin County (a few steps from this marker); Law Office of James W. Throckmorton (within shouting distance of this marker); Collin County Prison (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas American Bank/McKinney N. A. (about 500 feet away); Crouch-Perkins House (about 700 feet away); Heard-Craig House (about 700 feet away); 1911 McKinney Post Office (about 800 feet away); James Waller Thomas House (approx. 0.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.