McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This home was built about 1910 for Joe and Florence (Largent) Barnes on part of the land acquired by her father, prominent McKinney merchant W.B. Largent. Following the death of her husband in 1924, Florence sold the home to her brother, Dr. Ben Largent (1886-1936), and his wife, Leota. The foursquare style house, which exhibits influences of the prairie school and bungalow styles of architecture, remained in the family until 1945.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1984
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 305.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 33° 11.843′ N, 96° 37.35′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is at the intersection of West Louisiana Street and Bradley Street, on the left when traveling east on West Louisiana Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: McKinney TX 75069, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William B. Largent House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct L. A. Scott Home (about 500 feet away); E.A. Newsome House (about 500 feet away); Aron-Harris House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles P. and Sallie G. Heard Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Howell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Martin House (approx. 0.2 miles away); J.D. Stiff Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 199 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.