Brazoria in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Brazoria
The Presbyterian denomination has been active in Brazoria since the 1830's. They worshipped together with the Episcopal and Methodist congregations in the Union Church, built around 1853 in Brazoria. Following the destruction of the church in the 1900 storm, the Presbyterians met in the former county courthouse which was used for a variety of functions after the county seat was moved to Angleton in 1896. On Sunday, September 14, 1913, the Reverend T. C. Johnston organized the First Presbyterian Church of Brazoria with eleven members. Services were held in a room over Smith's store in downtown Brazoria until a permanent building was erected.
In 1915, the church trustees purchased land from E. Shelby Smith in the newly developed area of town near the railroad. By August 25, 1916, a building was erected on the corner of Louisiana and Virginia streets. Due to membership growth in the 1920's, the congregation built the first of many additions and renovations. Funding for the repairs came in part from the Woman's Auxiliary, who served dinner every Saturday to raise funds. After the 1932 storm, the church was shared with other denominations
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17665.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is August 25, 1916.
Location. 29° 2.572′ N, 95° 34.248′ W. Marker is in Brazoria, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of Virginia Street and West Louisiana Street, on the left when traveling north on Virginia Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 S Virginia Street, Brazoria TX 77422, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston Tap and Brazoria Railway Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Brazoria Fallen Heroes Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Smith (approx. 0.3 miles away); Masonic Oak (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Masonic OakDr. Sofie Deligath Herzog (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brazoria Townsite (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of the Home of John Austin (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brazoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 156 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.