Brazoria in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established in 1828 by John Austin, friend of Stephen F. Austin, "Father of Texas". Site of tavern of Jane Long, widow of Dr. John Long, who had tried in 1819 to free Texas from Spain. Port, social center, market for colony burned by enemy during Texas Revolution, was rebuilt. County seat, business center till 1897.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9534.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 3.23′ N, 95° 33.742′ W. Marker is in Brazoria, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is at the intersection of North Market Street and Travis Street, on the right when traveling north on North Market Street. The marker is located behind a boundary fence on the lawn of a private business building (Southern Gulf Solutions LLC, as of 2021), but can easily be seen from the public right-of-way along Market Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 N Market Street, Brazoria TX 77422, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Dr. Sofie Deligath Herzog (here, next to this marker); Don Carlos Barrett (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Brazoria Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Site of Jane Long's Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Home of John Austin (approx. ¼ mile away); Brazoria Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Masonic Oak (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Masonic Oak (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brazoria.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 3, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.