McKinney in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
George McGarrah Cemetery
A member of the Peters Colony, George McGarrah (1804-1879) brought his family to this area in the 1840s. Prior to his arrival in Texas, McGarrah had lived in Fayetteville, Arkansas, where he is credited with helping to build many of the historic structures still extant in that city.
McGarrah's wife had died in Arkansas in 1838 while giving birth to their daughter, Harriett. George McGarrah and his three children established a new home near this site, and he later married Sarah Ford.
The McGarrah Cemetery contains ten graves. George McGarrah had set aside one-seventh of an acre on his land to be used for a family cemetery. He was the first person buried here, in 1879. Two of his grandchildren, George W. (1870-1887) and Mattie A. (1874-1894) Ottenhausen, children of Harriet McGarrah and her husband Henry Ottenhausen, were the next interred in the family plot. Sarah Ford McGarrah was buried next to her husband in 1896. Also interred here are Harriett McGarrah Ottenhausen (1838-1930), Henry Ottenhausen (1839-1911), and his mother, Christina Ousenkoff Ottenhausen (1810-1904). There are three unmarked burials, one of which
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6177.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
Location. 33° 10.906′ N, 96° 41.151′ W. Marker is in McKinney, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on Old McGarrah Road, 0.1 miles north of North Briar Ridge Circle, on the left when traveling north. The marker is located in front of the George McGarrah Cemetery which is in a subdivision. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2009 Old McGarrah Road, McKinney TX 75070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williams Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Collin County Poor Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Collin County Farm (approx. 1.3 miles away); Buckner Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Buckner (approx. 2.8 miles away); First Christian Church of McKinney (approx. 3.2 miles away); William Clinton and Anna Belle Thompson House (approx. 3˝ miles away); First Presbyterian Church of McKinney (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McKinney.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.