Branchville in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Built in the 1830's it is thought to be the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church activities. Now it serves as a restaurant and gift shop.
Holly Hill Depot
Built in the 1880's, the present depot now serves the community as the Community Center, Tri-County Chamber of Commerce and Visitor's Center.
Norway High School (Old Willow)
The school built in 1926 was first known as Willow School and later Norway High School. After the school closed the town developed plans to turn it into a multi-use building with a visitor center and auditorium.
Edisto Memorial Gardens Visitor Center & Chamber of Commerce
The Garden's development began in the 1920's with some five acres of azaleas and has expanded over the years. Today there are 50 beds of roses and the Gardens feature a 2,600 foot boardwalk, picnic shelters, art center and educational program.
Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum
Elloree Heritage Museum
Located in the Historic District of Elloree the museum depicts the rural life of this section of Orangeburg County. Exhibits focus on the importance of cotton, farming and family life.
Santee Cultural Arts and Visitor Center
Located in a historic school house moved from the town of Parler to the Town Hall Complex, the Center features gallery space for changing exhibits, meeting space, tourism office and visitor amenities.
Old Springfield High School
This renovated 1929 high school served the community as a Visitors' Welcome Center and features exhibits on education and life in the community as well as a 4,000 square foot auditorium.
Valentine's was founded in the early 1900s by J.L. Valentine, who ran a diverse farm business that included a cotton gin, fertilizer sales and a general store. The present general store was built in the 1940s and, while a working store, looks more like a museum.
Erected by State of South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor series list.
Location. 33° 15.081′ N, 80° 48.935′ W. Marker is in Branchville, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Freedom Boulevard (U.S. 21) near East Railroad Avenue, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Branchville SC 29432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Branchville Depot (here, next to this marker); South Carolina Canal & Rail Road Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Woodlands (approx. 8˝ miles away); Bowman Rosenwald School (approx. 9.8 miles away); Bowman S.C. (approx. 10.2 miles away); Bowman War Memorial (approx. 10.2 miles away); Captain Richard A Morris (approx. 10.2 miles away); Green Pond United Methodist Church Appleby's Methodist Church (approx. 12.4 miles away); Badham House / Dorchester Lumber Company (approx. 12.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Branchville.
Also see . . .
1. Orangeburg County. Orangeburg County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. (Submitted on March 7, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Orangeburg County. Official website of Orangeburg County, SC. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Willow Consolidated High School. The Willow Consolidated High School, built 1926, is significant as an excellent example of school architecture typical in small American towns in the first half of the twentieth century. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Edisto Memorial Gardens. The Edisto Memorial Gardens is a place of history and beauty. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Southern Railway Passenger Depot. The depot at Branchville is the site of the oldest railroad junction in the United States. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
6. Elloree Heritage Museum and Cultural Center. Awarding (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
7. Springfield High School. The Springfield High School, built 1929 and associated buildings are significant for their association with the history of education in Orangeburg County and South Carolina. (Submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,185 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 7, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on May 3, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on November 29, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 12, 13. submitted on February 6, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 14, 15, 16. submitted on February 6, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.