Little River in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rebecca Randall Bryan
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion
Location. 33° 52.602′ N, 78° 36.84′ W. Marker is in Little River, South Carolina, in Horry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 17 and Mineola Avenue (Local Road 50), on the right when traveling south on U.S. 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Little River SC 29566, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boundary House (approx. 1.2 miles away); South Carolina / North Carolina (approx. 1.8 miles away in North Carolina); First Post Road (approx. 1.8 miles away in North Carolina); a different marker also named Boundary House (approx. 2.6 miles away in North Carolina); Fort Randall (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sonny’s Pavilion (approx. 3.8 miles away); Chestnut Consolidated School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Roberts Pavilion / Ocean Drive Pavilion (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Little River.
Also see . . . Little River United Methodist Church History. “Little River Methodist Church started as a mission in 1876, and became a Methodist church in 1885. It was a circuit church, one where the pastor served other churches on the same charge. The charge lines changed several times over the years. This continued until 1985 when Rev. Frank Hartsell became pastor and served the three churches remaining
“Our church site here was first a Baptist Church granted to the Baptist Trustees by Thomas Randall in 1856. This church seems to have died out during the Civil War and the site was later granted to the Methodists.
In 1968, the church’s name changed from Little River Methodist Church to Little River United Methodist Church as a result of the Methodist Church merging with the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
“In June 1986, Wampee and Ebenezer were removed from the Little River Charge, and Little River United Methodist Church became a station church, self-supporting with a full time pastor.” (Submitted on March 7, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,521 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 7, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the little white wooden church that was moved • Can you help?