Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saginaw in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, August 26, 2020
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The Reverend Hiram L. Miller and twelve others founded this church, the first in the Saginaw Valley, on March 1, 1838. They first worshiped at a carpentry shop on the corner of Michigan Avenue and Ames Street. The congregation erected a white clapboard church on this site in 1852, the first permanent religious building in the Valley. On November 10, 1883, the cornerstone for the present sanctuary, designed by local architect Fred W. Hollister, was laid. The completed building was dedicated November 22, 1885. There have been several additions and restorations since then. A 750-pound bell, a gift to the original church from area citizens, hangs in the present structure.
 
Erected 2012 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2229.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 1, 1838.
 
Location. 43° 25.126′ N, 83° 57.977′ W. Marker is in Saginaw, Michigan
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Saginaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and South Harrison Street, on the left when traveling west on Court Street. Mounted to the wall of the church facing Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 S Harrison St, Saginaw MI 48602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saginaw Valley Lumbering Era (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fred J. Borchard Park (about 600 feet away); Carl Cardwell Poston, Jr. (about 600 feet away); Saginaw County Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away); Core Sample (about 800 feet away); Treaty of Saginaw (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benjamin and Adelaide Cushway / The Cushway House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Bliss Park Soldiers Fountain Figure (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saginaw.
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kathy Garman, August 26, 2020
2. First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church and Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By John Garman, August 26, 2020
3. First Presbyterian Church and Historical Marker
Mounted to the exterior wall on the far left of the photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 7, 2021, by John Garman of Rochester Hills. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168097

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024