Calvert in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Building of the Citizens Bank & Trust Co.
Built 1868 by James S. Hanna, for a General Store. Owned 1870-1871 by a Battle of San Jacinto veteran, the Rev. Robt. Crawford.
Bought 1872 by J.S. McLendon, whose store and private bank were housed in the structure. In 1887 this was site of founding, First National Bank of Calvert, later renamed Union State Bank - finally Citizens Bank & Trust. Exterior retains 1887 style.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10914.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. 30° 58.693′ N, 96° 40.429′ W. Marker is in Calvert, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 6) and Hanna Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. The marker is located on the southern corner of the Calvert City Hall building by the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 620 South Main Street, Calvert TX 77837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Home Area of Chinese Farmers (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Calvert (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Calvert Bell" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cobb’s Market (about 400 feet away); Casimir Drugstore (about 400 feet away); The Jacques Adoue Building (about 500 feet away); Old Calvert Foundry and Manufacturing Company (about 500 feet away); Sneed Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calvert.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 7, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.