Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Williston in Williams County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Powder Magazine

 
 
Powder Magazine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2019
1. Powder Magazine Marker
Captions: (top right) Fort Buford Officer's Row and powder magazine, 1880; Civill War infantrymen with ammunition boxes.
Inscription.  This powder magazine was built circa 1875 and housed much of the Fort Buford ammunition supply and other ordnance stores.

Fort Buford has two earlier magazines. This 1875 building replaced a partially underground magazine which had stone-lined walls and an earth roof. Poor ventilation and moisture made the structure unfit for ammunition storage.

Special design considerations were given to a building intended to house ammunition. Ventilation was important, ammunition had to be kept dry to fire properly. Because fire and explosions were a concern, all nails and the wood floor were counter sunk to prevent sparks. Soldiers had to remove their boot or wear felt boot covers to prevent the hobnails on the soles from sparking, and munitions crates had all screws and nails countersunk and the holes filled with putty. The door was metal and the walls were thick so that if an explosion occurred the force of the blast would take the path of least resistance, upwards through the roof instead of outwards. The powder magazine was also well built as protection against theft of its contents.

Because lanterns were not permitted in this building,

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
storage crates had to be clearly marked and easy to identify in dim light. As you can see, crates were sometimes color coded. Each box was marked to indicate the number and Caliber of the cartridges, kind of weapon in which they were to be used, and the day and place of manufacture. Tarpaulins were used to cover crated to protect them from roof leaks.

Not all the fort's ammunition was stood in the powder magazine. Some of the weapons and ammunition were kept in the barracks with the men. The Quartermaster's storehouse contained some of the ordnance such as crates of firearms. Cannon munitions were stored in separate buildings.

The quantity of ordnance inventoried at Fort Buford in July 1877 suggests that this frontier post was busy with military activities of the time:

Rifle = 590,993 rounds
Carbine = 129,513 rounds
Pistol = 15,081 rounds
Cannon = 1,942 rounds
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles.
 
Location. 47° 59.321′ N, 104° 0.091′ W. Marker is near Williston, North Dakota, in Williams County. Marker can be reached from 39th Lane NW, half a mile west of 153rd Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Located on the grounds of Fort Buford State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15349 39th Ln NW, Williston ND 58801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.

Powder Magazine image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2019
2. Powder Magazine
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guardhouse and Officer of the Guard Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hospital (about 600 feet away); Infantry Barracks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Field Officers' Quarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Parade Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Telegraph Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Buford Historic Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Yellowstone Lodge #88 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williston.
 
Powder Magazine image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 16, 2019
3. Powder Magazine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on March 9, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2019, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Mid-distance view of the Fort Buford Powder House and Marker. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168281

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024