Comus in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mt. Ephraim Crossroads
Sharpshooters Hold the Line
— Antietam Campaign 1862 —
Early on the morning of September 11, the Confederates slipped away after brief exchanges of gunfire, also abandoning a signal station atop the mountain. As the Army of Northern Virginia was marching northwest out of Frederick, the action at Sugarloaf Mountain proved to be a successful rear guard action.
The Comus Inn was the Benjamin Johnson family farm at the time of the Civil War, and the crossroads was known as Mt. Ephraim. The family’s
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 9, 1862.
Location. 39° 14.886′ N, 77° 21.01′ W. Marker is in Comus, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Hundred Road (Maryland Route 109) and Comus Road (Maryland Route 95), on the right when traveling south on Old Hundred Road. Located in the rear of a parking lot for the Comus Inn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23900 Old Hundred Road, Dickerson MD 20842, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1862 Antietam Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Comus Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugarloaf Mountain (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sugar Loaf Mountain Barnesville (approx. 2½ miles away); a different marker also named Barnesville (approx. 2½ miles away); Women on the Homefront in Montgomery County (approx. 2.8 miles away); Hyattstown Mill (approx. 3 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker features two drawings from the war. The first is depicts J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry on their way to the Potomac River. The second is an impression of Sugarloaf Mountain, with a lot of artistic license. A map displays the unit movements pertaining to the Antietam Campaign.
Also see . . . History of the Comus Inn. (Submitted on July 14, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Additional keywords. Antietam Campaign
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 14, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,921 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 14, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.