Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Calvert in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Katy Hamman Stricker Library

 
 
Katy Hamman Stricker Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 3, 2021
1. Katy Hamman Stricker Library Marker
Inscription.  

In 1868, Robert Calvert and other local farmers urged the Houston & Texas Central Railroad to build through the area. The city of Calvert became an agricultural trade center and attracted new residents from other area settlements. After the turn of the 20th century, Women's Clubs became a popular aspect of community life throughout the country. In 1907, Missouri-based businessman Edward G. Lewis founded the American Woman's League (AWL), an organization tied to selling league materials and magazines. Calvert women organized a chapter in 1908 and qualified for a chapter house built and furnished by the AWL. In May 1909, Ella Hamman donated this lot to the AWL, which built a Class I chapter house for the Calvert group.

Lewis hired Helfensteller, Hirsch and Watson, a St. Louis firm, to design five classes of league chapter houses. The architects chose the Prairie style for their plans. Details of the Calvert chapter house include a low gabled roof and integrated planter boxes. For the interior, designed to resemble a home, Lewis commissioned George Julian Zolnay for a Bas Relief sculpture entitled "Woman's Mission."

Lewis'
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
AWL group did not last, but local Women reorganized as the Calvert Woman's Club in the late 1930s and operated a community library from the chapter house, which continued to be used for local meetings and functions. Katy Hamman Stricker, a charter Calvert AWL member for whom the building is named, continued to donate to the library for many years, helping to ensure its long-standing role as a place for education and gathering in the Calvert community.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13024.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationWomen. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1909.
 
Location. 30° 58.878′ N, 96° 40.325′ W. Marker is in Calvert, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is at the intersection of East Mitchell Street and Elm Street, on the right when traveling east on East Mitchell Street. The marker is located near the front of the library by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 East Mitchell Street, Calvert TX 77837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sneed Memorial Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church
Katy Hamman Stricker Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 3, 2021
2. Katy Hamman Stricker Library and Marker
(about 400 feet away); Former Calvert Courthouse (about 500 feet away); "The Calvert Bell" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Church of the Epiphany (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Parish Carriage House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Karen Renee Wiese Memorial Pavilion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calvert.
 
Also see . . .  Katy Hamman-Stricker Library.
The Katy Hamman-Stricker Library is located at 404 E. Mitchell Street in Calvert, Texas, USA. It consists of a museum as well as a public library and community center and was the first chapter house built by the American Woman's League in the state. Calvert is located within the Golden Triangle (the area between the cities of Dallas, Houston and Austin) of Texas. The building was constructed in 1909 but its role changed thirty years later when it became the town library. Source: Wikipedia
(Submitted on March 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The view of the Katy Hamman Stricker Library from the Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 3, 2021
3. The view of the Katy Hamman Stricker Library from the Street
The Katy Hamman Stricker Library image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 3, 2021
4. The Katy Hamman Stricker Library
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 149 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168328

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024