Near Calvert in Robertson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Burial place of some 400 Texas pioneers and descendants. On land granted (1835) to A.J. Webb; bought in 1850 by Judge Robert Calvert, a civic leader in Sterling, a town named for Empresario Sterling C. Robertson. Calvert dedicated 11.1-acre cemetery and built adjacent Cumberland Presbyterian Church of his own plantation timber.
In 1867, Judge Calvert died and was buried near cemetery gate. The church building was moved by oxen to new town of Calvert (2 Mi. E). In 1868, his wife, Mary Keesee Calvert, and their three daughters deeded cemetery site to the Cumberland Presbyterians.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10950.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 30° 59.09′ N, 96° 42.463′ W. Marker is near Calvert, Texas, in Robertson County. Marker is on Calvert Farm Road (County Highway 116) 0.3 miles north of Black Bridge Road (Farm to Market Road 979), on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Calvert TX 77837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul United Methodist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Calvert Foundry and Manufacturing Company (approx. 2 miles away); The Jacques Adoue Building (approx. 2 miles away); Cobb’s Market (approx. 2 miles away); Casimir Drugstore (approx. 2 miles away); Town of Calvert (approx. 2 miles away); Home Area of Chinese Farmers (approx. 2 miles away); Building of the Citizens Bank & Trust Co. (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Calvert.
Also see . . . Calvert, Robert (1802–1867).
Calvert settled in Robertson County, Texas, in 1850. He cleared a large plantation in the Brazos River valley and grew corn and cotton, making a substantial fortune. From 1853 to 1855 Judge Calvert served in the House of the Fifth Texas Legislature for District 46, comprised of Milam and Robertson counties. Calvert became an influential man both during his time in the legislature and by aiding the Confederate war effort by provisioning the army. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on March 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 86 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.