Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mount Olivet United Methodist Church
A new frame church was built in 1862. As a consequence of continued growth, the construction of the present brick building was initiated in 1897. The new church was dedicated on June 5, 1898. Numerous additions have been made since that time. In 1911 a pipe organ was added with a third of the cost being given by the famous industrialist and philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie.
In 1962 the sanctuary was remodeled and enlarged. The original stained glass was preserved in the new sanctuary. The Chapel still retains much of its original appearance.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 9, 1830.
Location. 38° 38.468′ N, 75° 36.7′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hiram Lodge No. 21 A.F&A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Seaford Fire Department (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Seaford Post Office (about 600 feet away); Gateway to Freedom: The Tilly Escape (about 700 feet away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Delaware Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor William H. H. Ross (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,517 times since then and 38 times this year. Last updated on March 11, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.