Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Martin's Place

 
 
Martin's Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 6, 2021
1. Martin's Place Marker
Inscription.  

In December 1924, Martin Kapchinskie purchased land at this site, along a one-lane country road connecting Bryan to Texas A&M University, near the communities of Union Hill and Midway. Here, he opened a store for travelers and named it Martin's Place, where he offered groceries, a public telephone, gasoline and barbecue. The original building was a wooden, screened structure, with a small pot inside, and tables and a large pit outside. During the 1930s, Kapchinskie sold some of the surrounding land to maintain the business during the Great Depression. By 1939, he had enough money to build a more substantial building, a red brick structure with a kitchen inside and a barbecue pit attached at back. The interior, designed like a café, included a tall bar.

Following World War II, Kapchinskie's son Albin joined him as a partner. Albin, who had served during the War as a butcher in the Navy, added a meat market to Martin's Place in 1951. A horseshoe-shaped bar replaced the original tall bar. In 1955, Albin purchased the business from his father, who retired to Michigan.

As Bryan and College Station grew and the automobile
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
greatly changed the way people lived, Martin's Place became more than a rest stop for travelers. Still in the Kapchinskie family, the restaurant has become a part of local life and a place of fond memories for generations of Texas A&M University students. Longtime patrons of Martin's recall "Uncle" Steve Holik, who served tables from 1946 until 1987, and for decades area residents came for daily domino games and to shoot pool. Although the world around it has developed rapidly, Martin's Place has changed little from its early days, remaining a popular stop for rest and refreshment
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12943.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1924.
 
Location. 30° 38.227′ N, 96° 21.365′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is at the intersection of South College Avenue and Sulphur Springs Road, on the right when traveling north on South College Avenue. The marker is located at the north entrance to Martin's Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3403 South College Avenue, Bryan TX 77801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The First National Bank of Bryan (approx. 0.6 miles away); A&M United Methodist Church
Martin's Place and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 6, 2021
2. Martin's Place and Marker
(approx. 1.4 miles away); “A Piece of Aggie History” (approx. 1½ miles away); Sbisa Dining Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away); Chemistry Building (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Women’s Club (approx. 1.7 miles away); K. K. Legett Hall Centennial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Francis Hall (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
 
Martin's Place image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 6, 2021
3. Martin's Place
The view of the Martin's Place from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, March 6, 2021
4. The view of the Martin's Place from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 250 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=168371

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024