In late 1888 and early 1889, Frank E. Wheelock and Rollie Burns, manager and employee, respectively, of the large Ioa Ranch, built the Nicolett Hotel on a high prairie just east of the present Lubbock Country Club. Wheelock named the building after the Nicolett Hotel in Minneapolis, a city in which he briefly lived, studied and worked.
When finished, the hotel was an impressive two-and-a-half story building with eighteen rooms and a half-story attic lighted and ventilated by dormer windows. The square plan featured a porch across the entire front, perfect for guests. The original settlement of Lubbock formed around the hotel, which could be seen from miles away and attracted many visitors. Cowboys, salesmen, real estate agents, land and town promoters and more came to the Nicolett Hotel for a meal, a meeting, or an overnight visit to discuss their projects.
In February 1891, Wheelock, Burns and their supporters moved the large Nicolett Hotel, minus the front porch and balcony, five miles south to the square of the new Lubbock townsite. Its new location was across the street from the future county courthouse (present-day southwest
The hotel was remodeled in 1909 and increased in size to more than 40 rooms with an additional building constructed across the street to the east. In 1940, the building was sold and dismantled, with some of its materials recycled to build a church community center a few blocks away.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 20114.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 35.079′ N, 101° 50.679′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and Buddy Holly Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 904 Broadway Street, Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mackenzie Scout Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Lubbock County (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel T. S. Lubbock / Texas in the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); A Tribute to Cotton (within shouting distance of this marker); Lubbock Post Office and Federal Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.