Beasley in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Founded 1894 by Cecil A. Beasley (1862 - 1908), on the Texas & New Orleans Railroad. First called "Dyer" for Isabel Dyer (1871 - 1933), whom Beasley later married. Post office opened as "Beasley," May 13, 1898. The town boomed in 1910, as Stern & Stern Land Co. of Kansas City promoted land sales through a town lot auction. Many new settlers were German and Czech families from Washington County. Soon Beasley had 3 general stores, 2 cotton gins, a 3-story hotel, an ice-house, a public school, and 7 churches.
Beasley was incorporated in 1970 and continues to serve as a marketing center for the area.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8969.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is May 13, 1898.
Location. 29° 29.844′ N, 95° 55.066′ W. Marker is in Beasley, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Loop State Highway 540 and South 4th Street, on the left Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beasley TX 77417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hope Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kendleton (approx. 6 miles away); a different marker also named Kendleton (approx. 6.1 miles away); Terry v. Adams (approx. 6.1 miles away); Powell Point School (approx. 6.3 miles away); Macario García (approx. 6.4 miles away); Home of Thomas Barnett (approx. 7.2 miles away); Holy Rosary Catholic Parish (approx. 7.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Beasley, TX.
Beasley is on the Southern Pacific Railroad and U.S. Highway 59 eleven miles southwest of Richmond in southwestern Fort Bend County. It was laid out on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in the mid-1890s by Cecil A. Beasley, a Richmond banker, who called the town Dyer in honor of Miss Isabel Dyer, who later became Mrs. Beasley. When it was found that another community was called Dyer, the town was named Beasley instead; it was granted a post office in 1898. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on March 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.