First Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ)
Sixteen charter members formally organized the First Christian Church of Lubbock in the summer of 1901. For many years, members met in various homes, public buildings and other area churches. In Aug. 1908, the church announced construction of a building of its own, a 40-by-50-foot frame building at 16th street and avenue J. In June of 1909, the young congregation secured their first resident pastor, John C. Welch. The new church held its formal dedication service on Sunday, February 6, 1910, and soon shared their new church house with other denominations.
By the end of the decade, the need for more space turned critical. A new, larger church at the same location opened for worship on Sunday, Sep. 30, 1923. This facility could seat up to 400 people, and rooms included a pastor's study, kitchen, dining room and a unique second-story motion picture room above the lobby. Texas Technological College opened during the pastorate (1924-34) of Walter P. Jennings, who immediately reached out to students and faculty. Although welcomed, growth in the church once again strained existing facilities.
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2018 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 20075.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 33° 35.064′ N, 101° 52.073′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and Avenue X, on the right when traveling east on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2323 Broadway, Lubbock TX 79401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Mast House (about 400 feet away, measured Mast/White Home (about 400 feet away); St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Lubbock Women's Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Tech Alumni Association (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Tech Judging Pavilion (approx. half a mile away); Lubbock High School (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 14, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 14, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.